Jan 8, 2008

today

recently i heard someone wishing for the "aughts" to be over soon because they are a pain in the ass to say. i happen to like them, maybe even more so because saying "aught-eight" sounds so incredibly old-fashioned but, look! it's the two-thousands! strange? maybe, but not for me - i generally like anachronistic things: handwritten letters and calendar books; ladies fashion gloves; despite it's debatable charms, the music of my youth; typewriters; the future as its depicted in the past. and yes, here we are, now fully a week embedded into '08 and i'm knee-deep in anachronisms - wearing slips and hand-kneading my cookie dough (though secretly envious of grace's new kitchen tool.)

without completely losing sight of the old or the present, i have some forward thinking thoughts for this year. and of course, many more resolution-type ideas than may be good for me, at least according to this entry over at the nytimes. the overarching themes include general health and wellbeing goals, as well as more consistent efforts at enjoying home, hosting, and home-made goodness. a week into the new year and all that still seems perfectly manageable.

grandma believed that there was no point in wishing for tomorrow before today was over. the earliest memory i have of hearing that was during a beach walk when she and grandpa still lived at seaplace. i couldn't have been older than six or seven. if i can continue to enjoy today for what it is, and not skip it in my search for a better future, then i think those resolutions for the year will become my everyday actions. it's a way of seeing the world and my place in it which can always be improved upon. and there is my one true guiding principle for this bright and sparkling new year. funny, it comes from so long ago.

1 comment:

Aaron Weber said...

I love saying "aught-six" and so forth. I like to put on an old-man voice and say "I met your grandmother back in aught-four, on what we used to call the eeeenternet."