May 4, 2008
i have spent the majority of my awake time today focused on making a doorstop. both the front door and the bathroom prefer stasis, returning to their closed positions when i most want them propped open. one of nate's shoes has been working as a counterweight - an imperfect solution on many levels. after much talk and much less action, i hunkered down to read and work with the project in the lotta jansdotter book on loan from katy. however, most of the measurements are in a pattern in a sealed pocket at the front of the book. instead of tearing apart someone else's book, i spent the early afternoon creating my own pattern based on the pictures and general directions. i've been at this for hours, figuring out what size i wanted, seam allowances, drawing and measuring, cutting, ironing, folding, pinning, and finally sewing. the results are good and it turned out to be a good way to spend the day. as soon as nate gets back from a few errands i will have dried beans for the filling. then i can hand-sew the opening and put it to work. pictures to follow upon completion.